Before you rent a dumpster it is important that you are aware of what you are getting into! Don’t fret – renting a dumpster is a super convenient and easy way to tackle any size project but there are some facts you should know in advance! Here are 7 need-to-know facts about roll-off dumpsters:
- Rent a dumpster a few days in advance
- One of the biggest mistakes you can make when renting a roll-off is assuming that you can get one the same day you call. Although in some rare occasions it could happen, more often than not your hauler will need at least 24 hours notice so that they can make sure they have the right size dumpster, a driver to get it to you, etc…please plan ahead before renting your dumpster!
- Think about placement
- Where your dumpster will be staying during your rental is very important! Do you live in a neighborhood where you need a permit to park it on the street? Do you have a driveway long enough to fit the dumpster? Will your dumpster be in an inconvenient location for you or you family? Which side of the driveway do you want it on (you can specify that on our online rental system!)? These are all things you should think about before you rent the dumpster!
- Know your perfect dumpster size
- Are you remodeling your entire home or just a bathroom? Are you planning to redo your entire backyard or just get rid of some branches? The type of project you are taking on will determine the best dumpster size for you! Affordable Roll-Offs offers a variety of dumpster sizes that are guaranteed to be a good fit for your project, no matter if it is big or small! We offer 12 yd, 20 yd, 30 yd, and 40 yd dumpsters that can be rented online. For more information about dumpster sizes be sure to check out this page!
- Dumpsters can hold a lot but not everything
- Before you start throwing items away willy-nilly into your dumpster make sure that they are on the approved list of items. If you ever have any questions about something you are throwing away please feel free to contact us with any questions! Generally, you can throw away most construction debris, wooden furniture, some upholstered furniture, yard waste, brick, asphalt, concrete, etc…For items that cannot be thrown in the dumpster please see the FAQ page.
- Don’t overfill your dumpster
- Another big mistake that haulers often see is dumpsters that are filled past their designated fill level. This can be a huge inconvenience for not only the hauler but also the renter. Due to safety precautions, our drivers cannot haul away a dumpster that is overfilled. We do not want to have a microwave fall out on the highway! If you stay within the designated line getting your dumpster out of your hair should be no problem. Our team will help ensure that you get the right sized dumpster for your project so that overfilling should not be a problem. But, if a bathroom renovation turns into a full-on house renovation we will also be happy to get you a second dumpster!
- Think about your dumpster’s weight
- Did you know that dumpsters have weight limits? Granted they are typically a very high limit, but you may be surprised how the weight of certain items such as sand or brick can add up quickly! If you go over the weight limit of the dumpster you may have to pay an additional weight fee or risk not having the dumpster picked up if the truck cannot handle the load. Please see the picture below for more detail about how much weight different sized dumpsters can hold:
- Help prevent illegal dumping
- It can be a renter’s worst nightmare. You wake up to find that your nearly empty dumpster has been filled to the brim with trash that is not yours. Sometimes it can be a sneaky neighbor or sometimes it can be the random person that saw the dumpster and decided they could do away with a few large items. Either way, it puts the renter in a bad spot. Unfortunately, illegal dumping is on the rise, especially in Denver. There are things you can do to prevent it from happening including utilizing the neighborhood watch, checking up on your dumpster often, only keeping the dumpster for as long as you need it, and maybe even getting a tarp to put over your dumpster when you are not home. All of these things can save you the headache (and money) in the long run.
Keeping these facts in mind before you rent a dumpster can help ensure your experience renting a dumpster is a good one! If you have any other questions or would like a quote, give us a call. We are always happy to help.