How Long Can I Keep My Dumpster Rental?
In general, a common dumpster rental length ranges between five and seven days. However, the rental period is determined by company policies. In some cases rental companies will allow customers to keep dumpsters for as little as three days or as long as 14 days without additional cost. For bigger projects, such as building demolition or construction projects companies may allow contractors to rent on a monthly basis. It is always important to check with a dumpster rental company for exact rental policies.
How do you know how long you will need your roll-off dumpster? By following the tips below you will ensure that you get the most out of your rented dumpster without the need to rush or have the container sitting for days before it is picked up.
How Long Can A Dumpster Be Rented?
Dumpster Rental Length Depends on the Project
The length of any dumpster rental is highly dependent on the type of project it is being used for. For example, a small project such as a bathroom remodel may only require a dumpster rental for a week. However, a large project such as constructing a building or an addition to a home may require a dumpster for more than two weeks. It is always a good idea to talk with your contractor to get a good idea of how long a dumpster will be necessary.
Typical Lengths of Projects
The length of a dumpster rental depends on the project that will be done. Below are a few examples of typical timelines for various projects:
Bathroom remodel: 13-25 Days
- The average number of days for a bathroom remodel ranges from 13 to 25 days. This range may depend on whether or not contractors are hired for the renovation or it will be a DIY project.
Kitchen remodel: 1 month – 5 months
- The length of time for a complete kitchen remodel can range between one month to five months or even longer, depending on how much invasive work needs to be done. For example, a new kitchen that requires plumbing changes or electrical changes will need more time than a kitchen that is getting only a new backsplash or appliances.
Hardwood floor installation: 1-3 days
- Hardwood floor installation generally lasts between 1 and 3 days. Again, this is highly dependent on whether or not a contractor is hired or it is a DIY project.
Deep house cleaning: 1 day to 1 week+
- Renting a dumpster for a deep house cleaning may be necessary if large items, such as furniture or carpet, will be thrown away. Depending on the condition of the house, a full cleanout may take a week or longer.
Finishing a basement: 4 weeks to 8 weeks or longer
- Finishing a basement generally will take between 1 to 2 months or longer depending on the size of the basement and what needs to be done.
Determining Dumpster Rental Length
After you have an idea of how long a project will take, the next step is to find a roll-off dumpster rental company rents dumpsters for the appropriate amount of time. If you are working with a contractor, more than likely the contractor will take care of the dumpster rental. However, if the project is DIY it is important to ask the rental company the following questions:
- What is the standard rental length(s) for the dumpsters?
- Is it ok to extend a dumpster rental?
- What is the maximum time a dumpster can be rented?
- Can a dumpster be picked up early?
- What are the fees associated with extending a rental or having it picked up early?
It is always a good idea to try and work with the standard rental times of the company to avoid fees or surprise costs. Try and plan the steps of the project in advance to have a better idea of the days a dumpster will be required. If possible, start a pile of trash and debris in a garage before the dumpster arrives. By doing this, it will be easier to fill the dumpster and reduce the number of rental days.
Commercial Dumpster Rental Length
Dumpster rentals will typically be much longer for commercial projects than residential projects. This is because commercial projects may take months or even years. Examples of long-term commercial projects include road expansions, new housing developments, bridges, and more. For commercial renters, it is important to have a conversation with the dumpster rental company before the project begins. This will ensure that all costs are predetermined and there will be no surprises when the project is completed.